Suspected Bondi Shooters Operated Alone and Did Not Preparation in the Philippines, Authorities Say.
The pair of accused gunmen responsible for the deadly incident at a Jewish event on Bondi Beach, which claimed 15 lives, appear to have acted alone, as stated by Australian police.
Authorities further stated that the 50-year-old Sajid Akram, and his 24-year-old son Naveed Akram, 24, flew to the Philippines on 1 November. Their travel plans involved arriving in the capital Manila before traveling onward on the day of arrival to Davao City. The pair flew back to Sydney on 29 November.
No Evidence of Training During Trip
Police have stated the duo did not receive any form of terrorist coaching or "logistical preparation" during their stay in the Philippines. Early findings from local authorities indicate they "hardly ventured out of" their accommodation.
The incident—declared Australia's deadliest firearm massacre since 1996—has been formally classified as a terrorist incident.
"Our teams are currently analyzing the evidence," she said, explaining that early evaluations indicate that "the alleged offenders are alleged to have been lone actors."
National law enforcement Chief Krissy Barrett informed media on Tuesday that CCTV footage tracking the accused attackers' movements in the Philippines had been provided to Australian investigators.
"There is no evidence to support the idea these accused individuals were part of a larger terrorist cell, or were acting on orders from external parties to execute an attack," Commissioner Barrett said.
Yet, the pair were likewise not necessarily in the Philippines on a leisure trip, the official clarified. She emphasized that, as the investigation is continuing, new evidence may emerge.
Inspiration and Court Charges
Earlier, Australian Prime Minister Anthony Albanese commented it seems both alleged attackers were "motivated by ISIS" beliefs.
During the attack, Sajid Akram was fatally shot by responding officers. He and his son Naveed—reportedly carrying long-barrelled guns—allegedly shot guests at the Jewish festival event.
Naveed Akram, who was injured and taken to hospital after the attack, has been charged with 59 crimes. These comprise 15 charges of murder and one count of carrying out a terrorist act. He is expected to face court in April.
Travel Particulars
In the wake following the shooting, border authorities in the Philippines indicated that the father had arrived in the country using an foreign passport, while his son used an domestic passport.
The two had stated the metropolis of Davao as their intended endpoint. Their pre-arranged journey back to Australia was for Sydney.
Davao is a large city on the east of Mindanao, the Philippines' largest island in the south. Historically, Militant militants have reportedly operate in less developed parts of central and south-western Mindanao.